With sadness, NIRSA shares that Sam Hirt—recipient of the NIRSA Honor Award and Past President of our Association—passed away on August 10, at the age of 82. Sam joined the Association in 1964 and ultimately demonstrated his commitment to NIRSA by becoming a lifetime member. On Labor Day of 1963 he started a 50-year tenure with Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN, where he served as the director of campus recreation for 40 years. Upon announcing his retirement in 2013, the university newspaper quipped, “In short, Hirt was Campus Recreation before there was even such a thing.”

See related: Samual Wilson Hirt

A career-long Vandy man

Sam was born August 28, 1940, in Salem, Ohio, and grew up in the small town of East Palestine, in northeastern Ohio, where he would go on to graduate high school in 1958. By 1962, Sam had earned his bachelor’s degree in education from Marietta College in Ohio, where he also played four years of basketball. Coaches will often say the best ability is availability. Sam’s reliability on the court at MC would foreshadow a full career, where many teammates could count on him to show up and work hard for the team. He started every game from 1958-1962 and Marietta College inducted him into its Athletic Hall of Fame in 1991.

See related: Samuel W. Hirt

After earning his B.A. from Marietta College, he completed a master’s degree in physical education in 1963 and in 1969 he earned a Ed. S. degree in health, physical education, and recreation, both at George Peabody College for Teachers in Nashville. The George Peabody College for Teachers would not be absorbed by Vanderbilt University until 1979, but Sam would start his golden jubilee career with Vanderbilt in the fall of 1963, after completing his master’s degree.

In 2013, as Sam approached retirement, the campus newspaper Vanderbilt University News published two retrospective articles looking back at Sam’s legacy at Vanderbilt.

From the articles or if you’ve ever talked to anyone who knew him, it’s clear that Sam transformed the landscape of campus recreation and student wellbeing at Vanderbilt and beyond. Over the years, Sam was involved in the planning of every Vanderbilt campus recreation expansion south of Memorial Gym. He founded the sport club program at Vanderbilt in the early 1970s and was a pioneer in opening access to facilities and equipment for women’s intramural and club teams, pre-Title IX. He created one of the first-of-its-kind campus recreation offices in 1973 and was critical in the building the nationally recognized Student Recreation Center at Vanderbilt that opened 136,000-sq-ft of recreation space to VU students in 1990 and had the significant 170,000-sq-ft addition completed just a few months after Sam retired.

Through it all, Sam was motivated by and focused on the students: “I have always dreamed of getting more for the students. The primary reason we’re here is the students,” he shared with the reporter. Sam had a profound ability to simplify complex truths and was able to articulate what our practice and purpose in campus recreation is all about: “The students are my love,” he says. “I begin and end with the students. They’re the only reason I’m here.”

A model servant leader

During his membership in NIRSA, he served in many volunteer roles. He served as President from 1998-1999 and he was among the speakers during the dedication of NIRSA Headquarters. In 2004, when he was decorated with the NIRSA Honor Award—the highest distinction conferred by the Association—one of the nominators suggested, “To name every contribution Sam has provided to you and me, it would take several sheets of wallpaper to cover our esteemed colleague’s career and credentials.”

While Sam’s impact on NIRSA has been extraordinary, two of his ideas will live prominently in his legacy with our Association. He instituted the “Make a Child Smile” program, forerunner to the NIRSA Annual Conference Community Service Project, and he is the architect behind “NIRSA Recreational Sports and Fitness Day,” celebrated each year on February 22 to honor the contributions of NIRSA’s Founders, and to call national attention to the benefits of recreational sports.

Here are just a few more of his contributions and his achievements in NIRSA. He received the Region II Award of Merit in 1993 and two NIRSA Service Awards in 1994. He was a member of NIRSA for almost 60 years, joining in 1964 when it was then known as the National Intramural Association (NIA). During those years, he served three terms as Tennessee State Director and as Vice President of Region II (1992-94). He served on, or Chaired these committees: Affirmative Action, Facilities, Standards, Sport Clubs, Membership, Screening Committee for the NIRSA Executive Director, and the ad hoc 2000 Conference Program in 1998-99. The Sport Clubs Manual and the General and Specialty Standards Manual both evolved from his input and expertise. He presented consistently at national, regional, and state conferences, and he published numerous articles in the NIRSA Proceedings on facilities and sport clubs.

Sam implemented, hosted, or cohosted several state workshops, and two Annual Conferences (1983 and 1994). He was a 1991 graduate of the NIRSA Membership Recruitment Bronze Club. He has also served on first Board of Directors for the NIRSA Services Corporation. He was a devout Christian with a servant’s heart and one of the founders of the Recreational Sports Christian Fellowship Association that would meet annually at NIRSA conferences for faith-based gathering time. He served on the NIRSA Foundation Board of Directors; he’s a Charter Member of the NIRSA Foundation and a platinum-level supporter. He is named among the Legacy Contributors to NIRSA.

He was part of the NIRSA Governance Commission serving with Past NIRSA Presidents Tony Clements, Mick Deluca, Kathleen Hatch, and Moe McGonagle, and members George Brown and Tom Dison. Even in retirement, he still had time to serve as the official historian of the Tennessee State Association (TIRSA).

Sam was famous for sending NIRSA colleagues handwritten notes of encouragement and kudos long after email came into vogue and many members continue to treasure those moments for their words of wit and wisdom that seemingly always arrived at the perfectly timed moment.

Here are just a few of testimonials from some of Sam’s colleagues:

“Sam was a man of integrity, faith, family, and service. He served his community, Vanderbilt University, and NIRSA with honor, commitment, and dedication. His quick wit, warm smile, and caring manner will be what I remember most. He also had a wicked set shot in basketball! Sam was the consummate professional and a leader in collegiate recreation!” – Stan Shingles, Assistant Vice President at Central Michigan University, Past President of NIRSA, and 2019 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“Sam and Melanie have been a great support to me over the years, and I have been blessed by their friendship, support, encouragement, and prayers. When I first joined NIRSA, there was a Recreational Sports Christian Fellowship Association with people who would support each other throughout the year and make time for a faith-based time of gathering at the NIRSA Annual Conference. Sam was one of the founders of that group, and I joined the group’s leadership to help keep the community growing.

Sam was a man of few words, but when he spoke it was always profound. He was all about supporting people and growing-up each generation. He was a people-person, and you could always count on him for a smile. I loved watching him and Melanie together, and how they played off each other. And of course, I will miss the stories. He will be missed beyond words.” – Stefani Plummer, Business Operations Manager at Arizona State University

“Sam was a kind, thoughtful, graceful, generous, and inclusive leader. He defined servant leadership. He was the first to congratulate you, acknowledge an accomplishment, or reach out to connect. He was always in a cheerful mood.

Sam was one of the first NIRSA leaders connect with me and to ‘nudge’ me to consider standing for the NIRSA Board and he was one of the first to call and congratulate me when I was elected.” – Bill Crockett, Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs at University of Maryland, Baltimore, and Past President of NIRSA

“Sam was a completely authentic leader who loved his profession, his students, his institution, and the programs and facilities that he helped create at Vanderbilt.  He was a quiet, unassuming, selfless, and totally committed professional; never too busy to help another or support a colleague.  His genuine love for his family was palpable; his support for NIRSA unwavering.  Never flashy but always in your corner…a dependable resource, a soldier for the organization, and champion of students.  A gentleman and a gentle man.” – Jan Gong, Senior Associate Vice Chancellor at the University of California-Davis, Past President of NIRSA, and 1997 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“Sam and Melanie were angels in my life. They took me under their wings when I was stepping into a leadership role and facing a battle with cancer, a battle they knew personally.” – Pat Besner, retired from the University of Toledo, Past President of NIRSA, and 2005 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“To me, Sam is Mr. NIRSA. He and his wife were two of the kindest people I have ever met. My first NIRSA Annual Conference experience was in Nashville, TN in 1994. As a student at Appalachian State, we took a van load of students to that conference and as we pulled up and unloaded on the sidewalk, Sam was there to welcome us. He was literally the first person I met at my first NIRSA conference.

When I took the job here at Austin Peay, my first day at work there was a piece of mail on my desk waiting for me…it was a card from Sam welcoming me to Tennessee with words of encouragement and support as I started my new role as a new director. He not only displayed his kind spirts in NIRSA but also with the Nashville community. Everyone who knew him always said the same kind and positive things about him. Sam will be missed by all his NIRSA friends, but he left us all with great memories.” – David Davenport, Director of University Recreation at Austin Peay State University and Past President of NIRSA

“Sam Hirt was an amazing man who epitomized servant leadership. He lived his principles and demonstrated true integrity and kindness. I’ll never forget his kind eyes and wonderful smile. He made the world a better place just by being here.

His goodness and thoughtfulness were matched by a great sense of humor. He loved to laugh and was never afraid to laugh at himself. Sam will be missed by all who met him.”  – Sarah Hardin, Faculty, Sport & Recreation Management at the University of Iowa

“Mr. Hirt’s expertise was instrumental in helping campus recreation and NIRSA grow to new heights. Serving Vanderbilt University for over 50 years, he is a cornerstone of the institution.  At some point, I realized Sam would be impactful in my career and life. People can usually run their lives okay when things are going well, but when I needed advice, I contacted Mr. Hirt for his perspective and wisdom. Save a racquetball game for us in heaven.”  – Calvin Diggs, Director of Campus Recreation & Sports Facilities at St. Cloud State University

“I was introduced to Sam during my term of service as a National Student Representative in the late 1980s and we became lifelong friends rather quickly. He mentored me and encouraged my service to NIRSA. I was the Region III Vice President when Sam was President. As my career advanced and took me away from my direct role in campus recreation, Sam and I stayed in touch and our friendship grew. When I was hired as the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Sam was the first person I called to share the news. When my father passed, Sam was there to help me work through my grief. We talked frequently, and he was the master of a handwritten note to offer support, assistance, or be the cheerleader. The world was better because of Sam.

Sam will be remembered as a gentleman, a consummate professional, a man of faith, and a friend to many. His patience and calm demeanor were only overshadowed by his quick wit and sense of humor.” – Lori Lynn Stettler, retired from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale

“Sam is one of the gentlest souls I’ve ever encountered.  He was so supportive to all of us [Past Presidents of NIRSA] as we navigated our time on the Board. I know this happened to others too, but he pulled me aside at the Annual Business Meeting right before I gave my president elect speech and provided a prayer of support, encouragement, and success in the process. It’s a moment that has stayed with me to this day…There’s a gathering of Past President’s in Heaven today that will welcome with open hearts our dear friend Sam.” – Greg Jordan, Director of University Recreation and Well-Being at Oakland University, Past President of NIRSA, and 2017 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“Of anyone I have known, Sam was the most genuine and kind person to everyone that he met. He was certainly a consummate professional. But he made everyone else around him a better person also. I will truly miss him.” – John Meyer, retired from University of Colorado at Boulder, Past President of NIRSA, and 2006 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“A truly warm and caring human being; he was so supportive of others and a terrific leader by example! Such a wonderful role model.”- Gene Lamke, Professor Emeritus at San Diego State University, Past President of NIRSA, and 1989 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“Sam made everyone surrounding him a better person with his positive energy. He will be remembered as a great leader and mentor, and for his relentless advocacy for student development. Sam is one of NIRSA’s legendary leaders.” – Paul Kuan Lee, Director of Recreational sports at University of California, Santa Barbara

“Sam was one of the kindest, most graceful people that I have had the pleasure to know. He was inclusive long before that term came into our student affairs jargon; he treated everyone with a welcoming smile, kindness, and respect. Sam was a one-of-a-kind human, who lived by his faith and personal values. Even his patented (and deadly accurate) set shot transcended time, as he played basketball well into his sixties. Sam is a treasure who will live on in the memories of so many of us.” – Eric Nickel, Director of University Recreation at James Madison University and 2020 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“We all have close colleagues and mentors who we lean on during our careers. For me, Sam was a pillar of leadership both at Vanderbilt and in NIRSA even though he was not someone who I knew very well or had the opportunity to work closely with. I was fortunate to participate in a tour Sam facilitated of the new recreation center at Vanderbilt in the mid-1990s. I recall being impressed by the detailed, thoughtful decision making that took place for every aspect of the building; and by his thriftiness, since he showed off a recent bulk purchase of bleach that he made when the cost was really low.

Sam would occasionally send me notes of support, many of which made their way into my First Aid file (name courtesy of Robyn Deterding), where I retain notes from colleagues and staff. Even though I was not close to Sam, he would send messages of support. The first letter was sent in response to the first article I co-wrote and was published in the NIRSA Journal in 1997, which was a very controversial topic, so I really appreciated the positive support. Sam also wrote to thank me for my contributions to the Governance Transition Team in 2009. Then he wrote a thoughtful memo when I became a Director of Campus Recreation at UNH in 2012. How Sam kept up with our professional milestones, I will not know. I greatly appreciate his thoughtfulness and support over the years.” – Stacey L. Hall, Ph.D., Assistant Vice Provost for Student Life, University of New Hampshire, Past President of NIRSA, and 2021 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

“Sam was one of the great gentlemen of NIRSA and one of the kindest people I know. I recall while serving on the NIRSA Board, Sam would periodically send me notes of encouragement and support, seemingly when I needed it the most. And I always looked forward to spending time with him each year at the conference. The world is a little less today with Sam’s passing.” – Tom Kirch, retired from Oregon State University, Past President of NIRSA, and 2013 NIRSA Honor Award recipient

Sam is survived by his wife of 62 years, Melanie Hirt—who is a longtime NIRSA supporter in her own right—and his three children Betsy, Shawn, and Brett. Sam had five grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Memorial services

Sam’s memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, November 4, at the Nashville First Baptist Church. Visitation is planned for 9:00am-11:00am, with the service beginning at 11:00am. A light lunch will follow the service. Individuals who would like to share condolences with Melanie and Sam’s family can send emails to hirt1962@gmail.com. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be sent to Samaritan’s Purse or In Touch Ministries of Atlanta, GA.

Pam Watts is Executive Director of NIRSA: Leaders in Collegiate Recreation, headquartered in Corvallis, Oregon. Pam is a Certified Association Executive and she can be reached at Pam.Watts@nirsa.org