with the NIRSA Foundation
December 3, 2019
Thank you to our 2018 #GivingTuesday Matching Gift Partner: Hughes Group Architects!
Help us meet their match challenge: Hughes Group Architects will match #GivingTuesday donations dollar-for-dollar up to $2,500!
Spread the word & share your why!
Help us spread the word about #GivingTuesday for a chance to win a $25 AmazonSmile gift card!
We want to hear why you give back to the NIRSA family!
Is it because of a mentor who nurtured your personal and professional path? Is it because of a life- or career-changing experience you had at a NIRSA conference or institute? Is it because of your fabulous coworkers and staff? Let us know!
Here’s how to participate after making your #GivingTuesday donation:
- Post a photo representing your “why” with a brief description on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram
- Tag the NIRSA Foundation in your post:
Giving is great for you!
Did you know that sharing a gift with the NIRSA Foundation can improve your health and wellbeing? How awesome is that?! Your gift creates great opportunities for the NIRSA family and because charitable giving supports your health & wellbeing, you can also be an early adopter of NIRSA’s 2018-2021 strategic plan! Yay you!
Here are some top health & wellbeing reasons to be a donor this #GivingTuesday:
- Lower Your Stress Levels: People who volunteer and donate to causes they believe in show a reduced mortality risk tied to stress.
- Feel happier: For many, making a donation is a way to express gratitude for opportunities they’ve received, and it turns out that expressing gratitude helps people to experience more positive emotions, which in turn improves their health and helps to build strong relationships. A win-win situation for everyone.
- Realize that Every Little Bit Helps: You don’t need $10,000 to make a difference in someone’s life. The NIRSA Foundation appreciates every gift that we receive and are honored to be chosen by our donors. Looking for a way to maximize your gifts and not take such a hit on your budget? Consider monthly giving to the NIRSA Foundation!
- Experience More Pleasure: National Institutes of Health studies indicate that making a donation activates the pleasure centers in the brain– that donating money simply makes you feel better, which is something we can all benefit from. Perhaps we need to start making donations after listening to the morning news.
- Promote Generosity in Children: When kids see adults donating money, they’re much more likely to adopt a giving mindset as they grow up. Share with your kids, or kids that are in your life, why you make a gift and the process you use to select who you give your gifts too. You can pave the way to their future charitable actions through these conversations.
- Bring More Meaning to Your Life & Make More Connections: When you donate, you make an impact on your NIRSA Family by creating opportunities and meet like-minded individuals who also believe in “paying it forward” for campus rec professionals through the NIRSA Foundation. Drop by the NIRSA Foundation table at Annual Conference and meet these people who care just as much as you do!
Interested in learning more about the health benefits of charitable giving or in making a gift to the NIRSA Foundation? Please contact NIRSA Foundation Director of Philanthropy Kim Holmes or call 541-766-8211
Our Corporate Partners Make a Difference
The NIRSA Foundation is proud of its Corporate Partners’ commitment to healthy communities and thriving campus rec programs. Would you like to show your commitment to the future of campus recreation?
When you donate, you provide scholarships
Because of NIRSA Foundation donors’ dedication to professional development, to date, we have been able to support nearly 830 students and professionals to attend the NIRSA Annual Conference and Campus Rec & Wellness Expo and other NIRSA professional development events.
In 2018, the NIRSA Foundation provided almost $38,000 of scholarships and stipends thanks to the generosity of donors and Core Health & Fitness. This money funded 107 total professional development opportunities for NIRSA members.
When you donate, you provide research
You rely on the research and peer-review literature supported by NIRSA Foundation donors. In the last two years, there have been more than 37,800 downloads of full-text articles from the Recreational Sports Journal–articles that serve to advance the understanding of the role of campus rec within higher education.
Since 2016, the NIRSA Foundation has awarded $105,000 in support of research projects in the field of campus rec through the NIRSA Research Grant Program. These projects have made indelible contributions to the field and, with them, the profession and professionals can build on the knowledge and research supported by donors.
The Institutional Data Set continues to be the go-to resource for professionals needing benchmarking data. To date, nearly 400 institutions have contributed information on campus rec programs, services, and facilities. With the addition of the Salary Survey, members’ access to benchmarking data continues to grow.
When you donate, you provide student officials’ development
This training program provides young officials crucial experience to meaningfully contribute to their communities – on and off the field. It’s a grassroots solution to the shortage of young officials at all levels of competition.
In the 2017-2018 season, the NSC provided training for 657 student officials at 25 events.
NIRSA Foundation donors supported training opportunities for 106 up-and-coming student officials during the 2017-2018 season at the National Basketball and Flag Football tournaments.