The NIRSA Assembly is excited to share the panel “Gen Z: Re-Shaping Higher Education and Its Impact on Collegiate Rec” at the 2020 NIRSA Annual Conference & Campus Rec and Wellness Expo taking place in Phoenix from April 18–21. Generation Z or “Gen Z” refers to those born 1997 and onward. Generational diversity on-campus is at an all-time high as members of Gen Z enter our institutions as both students and staff. It has become evident that Gen Z brings with them unique expectations and characteristics. Consequently, collegiate recreation professionals are shifting focus to successfully serve, lead, and engage this population.
Through the panel discussion, the NIRSA Assembly looks to provide a framework to help professionals anticipate the changing needs of this student population and new workforce. The panel session will aim to offer a variety of perspectives to ensure that diverse voices of the NIRSA membership are represented, while addressing the following guiding questions:
- What are the qualities and characteristics of this generation, and what will be their impact on campus recreation?
- What influence will this generation have on how campus recreation employs, engages, and retains students and staff?
- As employees, how will Gen Z impact the profession?
- How can collegiate recreation professionals leverage the strengths and opportunities of Gen Z at their institutions and in the workplace?
- What strategies can be implemented to leverage the collective strengths of a multi-generation staff to engage in effective organizational leadership and management?
Please join the Assembly at 8:00am on Monday, April 20 for this panel to learn more about the opportunities Generation Z presents and their impact on collegiate recreation.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Leadership Programs Coordinator Chelsea Hansson.