NIRSA: Leaders in Collegiate Recreation is a proud member of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS)
. CAS promotes standards in student affairs, student services, and student development programs in order to maximize the quality and effectiveness of higher education services. As a CAS Member Association, NIRSA provides a representative to CAS meetings and participates in collaborative projects that achieve our shared goal of fostering healthy, productive learning environments.
NIRSA members have free access to the most current version of The Collegiate Recreation Programs: CAS Standards and Guidelines as well as The CAS Contextual Statement. The standards for collegiate recreation facilitate the following:
- Provides a metric for assessing the quality of recreational programs
- Provides guidance in planning or revising aspects of recreational programs
- Assists in advocacy efforts to obtain additional resources
- Assists in staff training and professional preparation of recreation program specialists
- Informs campus colleagues, administrators, and constituents about the role of recreation programs
The complete CAS Professional Standards for Higher Education, 9th ed. (2015), can be purchased on the CAS website. For more information, please contact NIRSA research coordinator, Ruben Guzman.