|Position||First Name||Last Name||Designation||Company||Email
|Chair||Mark||Ritter||University of South Carolina-Upstate||
|Consultant||Yvette||Kell||CENTERS, LLC At University of Missouri-St Louis||
|Member||Katherine||Birdsall||Illinois State University||
|Member||Mark||Dixon||Jackson State Univ||
|Member||Jeff||Huskey||University of California-Santa Barbara||
|Member||Chance||Ryon||The University of West Florida||
|NIRSA Headquarters Member||Erin||O'Sullivan||NIRSA Headquarters||
2017-2018 NIRSA Board Appointed Committee Charges
Policy & Legislation Committee
Description: Embrace the cross-pollination of work among committees, work teams, and leadership groups within the Association. Regularly share your work with other appropriate stakeholder groups—particularly the NIRSA Assembly—to connect the dots and surface synergies among efforts.
Additional charges may be presented to the committee or by the committee during the year as new initiatives arise.
Strategic Goal & Objective(s)
Goal II, Objective 1: Increase NIRSA’s capacity to respond proactively to key issues.
Goal II, Objective 3: Increase collaboration with organizations and institutions that will expand the Association’s reach.
Goal III, Objective 2: Increase the professional competencies of members to be leaders and/or catalysts within higher education.
- Participate in quarterly legislative update/discussion teleconference meetings with the Consortium for Government Relations in Student Affairs.
- Actively scan for and surface relevant issues related to public policy/legislation that impact collegiate recreation and our expanding role in higher education.
- Educate members about these issues and on any appropriate resources or avenues of action they may take in response or preparation.
- Make recommendations to the Board on appropriate action to be taken on issues of more pressing and/or immediate concern and formulate the association’s response or position as directed by the Board.
- Utilize and keep active the discussion forum and resource library within the Policy & Legislation Community of Practice on the NIRSA website as a means of sharing information, resources, and updates to help members stay on top of public policy/legislative issues; encourage members to share resources from their own campuses and experiences.
- Prepare a presentation for the NIRSA membership on ways in which members can become more educated and stay current on policy and legislative issues on their own campuses and in their local states and communities. Determine the most appropriate channel and people to deliver the presentation, and plan accordingly.