The NIRSA Board has continued conversations about the increasing number of bills being introduced into state legislatures regarding transgender athletes’ participation in sports. We are concerned about the multiple ways these bills stand contrary to our values.
As a result, the NIRSA Board approved a statement that outlines NIRSA’s support for the rights of transgender individuals to participate in sport based on their gender identity. The statement outlines how NIRSA’s values of inclusion and wellbeing are applied to this issue and examines some of the nuances involved.
Several of NIRSA’s partner associations in higher education have signed on in support of the statement. We appreciate the support from our partners at:
- ACHA – American College Health Association
- ACPA – College Student Educators International
- ACUHO-I – Association of College & University Housing Officers – International
- ACUI – Association of College Unions International
- ASCA – Association for Student Conduct Administration
- NACA – National Association for Campus Activities
- NODA – Association for Orientation, Transition and Retention in Higher Education
We will continue to be in conversation with other organizations and update the statement periodically if others wish to voice their support for inclusive access to sport.
- For more information, please contact a member of the NIRSA Board of Directors.