NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NIRSA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
Federal Government News
- FY21 and stimulus update
- S. Department of Education announces joint final rule regarding equal treatment of faith-based organizations supported by social service programs
- Free speech hotline created for censored college students by U.S. Department of Education
- DACA restored entirely, applications to be accepted immediately, article reports
- College student loan forgiveness for those living in rural communities bill (HR 8835) introduced
- Establishing the Federal Perkins Access, Retention Completion (ARC) loan program bill (HR 8904) introduced
- Clarifying Title IX Protections for Female Athletes is based on Biological Sex bill (HR 8932) introduced
- Simplifying the Procedure for Applying for Forgiveness for Certain Loans made under the Paycheck Protection Program (S 4954) introduced
- A bill to terminate the U.S. Department of Education (S 4979) introduced
- College athlete name, image, and likeness (NIL) bill (S 5003) introduced
Other Federal News
- Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff will teach at Georgetown Law next spring
- Campus suicide prevention grant program available through Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- College COVID-19 updates
- Mental health concerns increase among college presidents due to pandemic, survey finds
- Activities and other COVID-19 updates
- Youth sports guidance issued by California Department of Health
- College sports has had over 6,600 COVID-19 cases according to a new report
- College mental health taskforce guidance published by American Council on Education (ACE)
- 88% of colleges restrict free speech, FIRE study reports
- The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USPOC) will not punish peaceful protesting at Olympics, article reports
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.