The NIRSA Assembly is a leadership group made up of NIRSA professional, student, and associate members as well as non-NIRSA members. Assembly members are facilitators of thoughtful discussions surrounding hot topics that will affect the collegiate recreation profession in the next three to five years. Their goal is to identify, analyze, and research these topics and share their findings with the Association’s membership. Their perspective and insight as future-thinking leaders plays an essential role in the work of the Association.
As we welcome the newly appointed members of the Assembly, the Association would like to express gratitude to the following individuals whose terms are ending. We thank them for their commitment to the 2019–2020 Assembly.
- Parker Anderson, San Diego State University
- Victoria Lopez-Herrera, The University of Texas at San Antonio
- Laurie Braden, Louisiana State University
- Bob Gough, William and Mary
- Devon Rembert, Temple University
- Kimberly Rottet, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Kosti Efstathiou
- Matt Beck, Oklahoma State University
- Gansheng Xu, University of New Brunswick
- John McElrath, University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- Mallory Valentine, University of Iowa
- Paul Culbertson, Cecil University
- Wes Bonadio, Ohio University
- Benjamin Kohler, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Jesse Sheets, Mount Royal University
- Claudia Cooper, University of Houston
- Karen David, University of Dayton
- Miranda Buiter, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
The 2020–2021 NIRSA Assembly roster has been finalized and approved by the NIRSA Board of Directors. The current Assembly also put forth a recommendation to the NIRSA Board of Directors to shift the Assembly leadership year from the current July 1–June 30 term to June 1–May 31. This change will allow the Assembly to better align with the other high-level leadership groups within NIRSA. The 2020–2021 NIRSA Assembly will serve an 11-month term in order to make the transition. Beginning in 2021, Assembly members will serve from June 1–May 31.
Thank you to everyone who applied for a position on the Assembly. NIRSA volunteers are a crucial part of the advancement of the Association, and your willingness to serve is greatly appreciated.
Below is the 2020–2021 Assembly roster listed by seat. The newly appointed members will join four returning members from the 2019–2020 Assembly as they continue their service by fulfilling the second year of their term. Open seats and student seats on the Assembly serve a one-year term, and all members are welcome to reapply.
2020-2021 Assembly Roster
Shelby Hinkle Smith, University of Vermont
Board of Directors Representative
Andrea Snead, University of Central Florida
Past Presidents’ Representative
Bill Crockett, University of Maryland Baltimore
Peter Mumford, York University
Joseph Secrest, University of Houston
Jess Kiss, Bowling Green State Univeristy
Kirsten Schumacher, Seattle University
Cheryl Harwardt, University of Alberta
Jordan Olson, Western Michigan University
NIRSA Professional Members Less Than Five Years
Heather Hamilton, Colorado School of Mines
Clay Heinley, Austin Peay State University
Jenny Strickland, Purdue University
Laura Ferguson, Lakehead University
NIRSA Student Members
Asna Rupani, Illinois State University
Amber Mateer, University of the Pacific
Jennifer Fasano, University of South Florida
Marcella Cisneros, University of Texas at El Paso
Calvin Diggs, St. Cloud State University
Matt Dunigan, University of California, Riverside
Bre’una Keeton, Red Rocks Community College
DeVanee Lasley, College Possible
Zack Sephton, Queen’s University
Adam Shanley, Rutgers University
If you would like to contribute a collegiate recreation topic or idea for the Assembly to discuss, don’t hesitate! Feel free to reach out with your thoughts and ideas via email or create a discussion post on Connect—start a conversation today!
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Leadership Programs Coordinator Chelsea Hansson.