NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NIRSA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- College Second Chance Pell experiment expanded
- Higher ed groups seek more flexibility for colleges in small business aid
- POLITICO reports latest data on stimulus funding for college students
- What’s the best way to get federal coronavirus aid to college students, Education Dive reports
- ISE Act call to action issued by National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)
- White House Coronavirus Task Force, sports leaders discuss how testing expansion could help sports resume
- Payroll Protection Program (PPP) Q&A by FiscalNote
State & Local Government
- Massachusetts high school concussions commission bill recommended for passage by committee
- Pennsylvania “Higher Education Mental Health Awareness Week” bill referred to Human Services Committee
- The Safest College Campuses in America in 2020 report issued by YourLocalSecurity.com blog
- CDC releases statistics of Age-Adjusted Suicide Rates by State – 2018
- Some universities provide online sexual assault counseling
- As colleges’ coronavirus costs rise, insurance coverage still unclear, Education Dive reports
- Colleges intend to make cuts and explore new ways to make (and save) money
- Updates on college plans on reopening
- Opinion: College campuses must reopen in the fall
Civil Rights & Youth Protection
- Title IX lawsuit appeal victory opinion by Michigan State University being used to argue against a similar case
- Title IX plaintiff backs out of proceeding after court orders University of Michigan to allow cross-examination, The College Fix reports
- Hazing lawsuits continue to be filed against Virginia Tech
- Access and Participation in Higher Education: Perspectives of College Students with Disabilities now available online
- NCAA Board of Governors moves toward allowing student athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions
- NCAA denies request to drop Division I sport minimum
- Vanishing of sports due to coronavirus will cost at least $12 billion, analysis says
- Poll: Americans want a vaccine before return to sporting events, movie theaters
- Article explores reopening of professional and amateur sports
- NBA targets May 8 as earliest date to allow some limited workouts in select cities
- Coronavirus related resources
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.