NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NIRSA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- More stimulus and recovery funding being considered
- Title IX cases resolutions climb as the U.S. Department of Education pushes to clear backlog, Education Dive reports
- Bill to ensure college students, young adults with disabilities receive COVID-19 relief rebate introduced
- S. Department of Education issues proposed distance learning rules, emphasizes flexibility
- College benefits from coronavirus stimulus package explored – Education Dive reports
- Colleges request quick delivery of stimulus funding from the U.S. Department of Education, POLITICO reports
- Colleges continue to consider refund plans
- The effects of college coronavirus refunds on college budgets explored
- Colleges clearing out student dorms to make room for coronavirus patients and health-care workers meets some opposition
- George Washington University’s losses from COVID-19 projected at roughly $38 million, president says
- Air Force Academy focuses on cadet mental health after suicides
- Accessibility a concern during pandemic with shift to online learning
- How higher ed is raising funds to help students during COVID-19
- Funding and other support opportunities for organizations for coronavirus relief
- Major League Baseball exploring May/June return with players and other personnel isolated in Arizona
- Sports return delay explored in article
- College football season decision needs to be made in next 60 days predicts Penn State athletic director
State & Local Government
- Kentucky athletic trainer professional standards bill signed into law
- Louisiana college CPR device athletic event availability bill deferred until legislature reconvenes
- Mississippi state association open meetings law and gender specific sports bill passes the state senate
- New Jersey anti-hazing bills combined and reported favorable by committee
- Oregon gambling on college athletics bill died in committee
- South Dakota mascot name/likeness prohibition bill under consideration
- Utah higher education restructuring bill signed into law
- Higher education student affairs leaders surveyed on college issues that take the most of their time
Civil Rights News
- Baylor Title IX lawsuit plaintiffs can’t seek punitive damages, judge decides
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.