NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NRISA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- Higher Education Act (HEA) reauthorization in Senate still held up by Title IX, Inside Higher Education
- ‘Public charge’ rule for immigrants already impacting enrollment in various federal programs
- College groups voice support for bill to help students get SNAP benefits
Other Federal News
- Foul ball injuries in Major League Baseball (MLB) data requested by two Senators
State & Local Government
- Despite California’s travel ban, lawmakers find ways to visit states with ‘anti-LGBTQ’ laws
- Connecticut athletics transgender policy subject of federal civil rights inquiry
- Florida lawmaker wants to allow concealed-carry on college campuses
- Illinois House panels to hear about guardianship financial aid controversy
Education and Schools News
- Article explores Miami University of Ohio’s ‘masculinities committee’ offering learning opportunities for ‘male-identified’ students
Health and Wellness News
- College presidents prioritizing student mental health, study shows
- JED Foundation highlighted in Center for American Progress (CAP) report addressing racial trauma and hate crimes on college campuses
Civil Rights News
- Dartmouth settles sexual misconduct case for $14M
- Michigan State, government resolve Nassar civil rights probe
- Federal judge sides with transgender former Virginia high school student in ongoing civil rights case
- Ten Brain damage caused by routine hits in football study finds
- Crumb-rubber turf field EPA study report explored in article
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.
- Want to share with your colleagues how this proposed legislation might impact your campus? Pitch us your ideas.