NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NRISA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- White House proposes limits on student loan borrowing as part of higher education reforms
- HEA reauthorization recommendations offered by Higher Education Committee of 50
- President Trump signs order tying federal grants to free speech at colleges
- The Trump administration budget wants food stamp recipients under 65 to have work requirements
- Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) encourages public comments on proposed rule that would restrict SNAP benefits for college students
- PHIT Act (HR 1679) adds a new Republican cosponsor
- Graduate Assistant Parity (GAP) Act (HR 1842) introduced
State & Local Government
- Alabama higher education leadership convening bill passes the state senate
- California polling places on public college campuses bill amended and back before committee
- California bill requiring the evaluation of college workstudy programs to determine eligibility for students’ food assistance work training exemption approved by committee
- California bill extending financial aid to DREAMER graduate students approved by committee
- California college domestic violence centers mandate bill receives committee approval
- California public colleges posting of cost of living information bill set for hearing
- Colorado state House approves bipartisan bill to have remedial higher education course work counts toward graduation
- Colorado physical therapist as health care provider for head trauma/concussion guidelines compliance bill passes the state House
- Connecticut private colleges permitted to have official police officers bill introduced
- Florida hazing bill aims to add incentive for reporting incidents
- Indiana hazing bill likely won’t get hearing
- Mississippi out-of-state athletic team physician permission to treat bill to become law
- North Carolina bill would allow alcohol sales at college sporting events
- Oregon state Senate could soon vote on bill regulating campus safety agents
- South Dakota bill signed into law promoting “intellectual diversity” on university campuses
- Texas bill aims to make it easier to prosecute hazing at universities
- Texas college mental health funding bill passes state Senate and being considered by state House
Civil Rights News
- Kansas State University’s attempts to throw out Title IX lawsuits stemming from off-campus assaults denied by federal appeals court
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.
- Want to share with your colleagues how this proposed legislation might impact your campus? Pitch us your ideas.