NIRSA members celebrate Recreational Sports & Fitness Day in commemoration of NIRSA’s founding date every year on February 22. Rec Day is a time to remember Dr. William Wasson bringing together 20 intramural directors from 11 Historically Black Colleges and Universities to share his research on collegiate recreation. This historic day led to the start of NIRSA, an association beloved by so many individuals today.
What began very modestly as just 11 schools coming together to discuss intramural activity in 1950 is today a phenomenon that is all about supporting the idea that recreation on campus matters. Here are some glimpses at awesome creative 2018 #RecDay festivities from the world of Instagram!
Check out this thank you video that University of Tennessee, Knoxville RecSports uploaded the day after to give a shout out to all its amazing Rec Day participants.
Fresno State decided to try out dodge ball on their racquetball courts for the first time on Rec Day, and they shared video of how it went.
Trinity University made a strong show of support for mental health and wellness with their quick video promoting stress balls.
Among many activities, Grand Valley State University held an epic spin marathon.
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette threw a treadmill 5K, offering free T-shirts to participants.
From this photo, we have to assume Mississippi University for Women got bubble soccer off the ground eventually!
The University of Wisconsin – Madison took on hip hop yoga on Rec Day.
Worcester State University encouraged its students to make sure and get active on Rec Day.
And the NIRSA Student Leadership Team celebrated this Rec Day with the Denver Blue Bear and an excited look towards what was then the upcoming 2018 NIRSA Annual Conference.
This is just a glimpse at some of the incredible things rec departments across the country did to help make Rec Day incredible for their campuses. Check out the #recday hashtag across Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to see even more examples of departments and individuals taking advantage of Rec Day 2018 to get moving and celebrate what Dr. William Wasson started so many years ago.
How do you rec?
Did you celebrate Rec Day? Let us know how—send photos, stories, and links to NIRSA Communications Coordinator Nazifa Islam for a chance to be featured on NIRSA’s social media platforms!
Thanks to our participating schools. Don’t see your school on the list? Let us know!
- Assumption College
- California State University, Bakersfield
- Cedar Crest College
- Colorado State University
- East Stroudsburg University
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Elon University
- Emory and Henry College
- Fairmont State University
- Florida Southern College
- Fresno State University
- Gannon University
- Georgetown University
- Grand Valley State University
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges
- Hofstra University
- Houston Baptist University
- Houston Community College
- Illinois State University
- Lincoln College
- Northern Illinois University
- Northern Michigan University
- Princeton University
- Providence College
- Saint Leo University
- Salem State University
- Sinclair Community College
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Ambrose University
- SUNY Cortland
- Texas A&M International University
- Texas A&M University–Commerce
- Texas A&M University–San Antonio
- Texas A&M University at Galveston
- Texas Southern University
- Trinity University
- University of Hawaii
- University of Mississippi
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- University of the Pacific
- University of Rhode Island
- University of Tennessee
- University of Tennessee at Martin
- University of Texas at San Antonio
- University of Texas at Tyler
- University of West Georgia
- University of Wisconsin–La Crosse
- Whitworth University
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Creative Director Cory Granholm.