A full day of professional development focused on staff who work at a small recreation program will be held prior to the 2018 NIRSA Annual Conference & Campus Rec and Wellness Expo on Sunday, March 4. The Small College and Community College Workshop was born out of feedback NIRSA received from small program staff regarding their need for focused training opportunities. The NIRSA Small Program Advisory Council has been developing the program since spring of 2017.
Experienced small rec program professionals from diverse campus structures will lead the workshop. They will provide training while sharing key learnings and current practices that have advanced their campus recreation program. The workshop will provide multiple learning formats. In addition to traditional presentations, there will be panel discussions and group problem solving to provide attendees with tools they can use back on campus.
During the workshop, attendees will learn:
- How to advocate for their program to upper-level administrators
- What tools and resources are available to demonstrate the value of their program to their school
- Methods for developing both professional and student staff
- Ways to strengthen their program by building partnerships on and off campus
- How to get the most out of their NIRSA conference
Need help getting approval to attend the Annual Conference? Check out the Convince Your Boss Toolkit. And remember that space is limited for this preconference opportunity—sign up today for the Small College and Community College Workshop when you register for NIRSA 2018!
Keep up to date on learning opportunities and network with your peers by joining the Small Programs Community of Practice on NIRSA Connect. This member benefit is accessible from your desk anytime and fosters peer-to-peer sharing as well as a way to tap into templates and policies from other campuses.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Membership Christine Haluzak.