Benchmarking for Small Schools and Small Programs
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 10:30am-11:30am
- Room 705
- Marci Kuhrt, RCRSP, Viterbo University; Namoonga Mantina, Beloit College
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive
Benchmarking is the practice of evaluating by comparison against a standard. Albeit a seemingly straightforward process, recreation professionals at small schools or those working within small recreational programs may have unique difficulties in identifying schools for comparison, in utilizing existing benchmarking instruments, or in disseminating the relevant information through institutional networks. This session will entail a description of how to engage in this process and how to utilize NIRSA’s benchmarking instrument, the Institutional Data Set, which is supported by the NIRSA Foundation. A first-hand description of such a project conducted at Beloit College will also be provided.
- Perform benchmarking to promote/justify recreation programs and services to campus constituents.
- Explain the benefits of contributing data to the Institutional Data Set.