What’s in a Word? A Discourse Analysis of Transgender Inclusive Language in Competitive Sports Policy
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Wednesday, March 7, 8:30am-9:30am
- Room 407
- Jennifer Pecoraro, University of West Georgia; Ty Verdin, Georgia State University
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive
Transgender inclusivity via strategic programs, services, and amenities is a growing focus in collegiate recreation. Through this interactive case-study session, learn in what ways competitive sport programs are featuring transgender inclusive content in handbooks, policies, and by-laws. Explore and discuss what value and implications particular transgender inclusive terminology has in our field through an in-depth analysis of sample content across NIRSA member institutes.
- Identify at least three transgender-inclusive terminology and discourse strategies utilized in sample competitive sport policies.
- Discuss at least two key strategies and best practices for addressing transgender participation in competitive sports.
- Create a transgender inclusivity action plan specific to university/institute policies, resources, and accessibility.