Committing to Inclusivity: Creating Inclusive Facilities and Cultures on Every Level
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 2:15pm-3:15pm
- Room 501
- Christopher Whitcomb, Cannon Design; Colleen McKenna, Cannon Design; Reed Voorhees, Cannon Design; James Labbe, Sasaki Associates, Inc.
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive, Student
While inclusivity has always been inherently important to recreation departments focused on offering spaces and opportunities for all students to engage and thrive, there are new ways to better connect with underserved campus populations. This presentation will explore emerging strategies that reveal how facility design, organizational layout, equipment, programming, and conduct can all be leveraged and aligned to bring campus recreation to all interested students.
- Learn how facility design and organization can promote or discourage inclusion in your campus recreation center and gain key takeaways for creating more inclusive environments.
- Learn how modifying programs or introducing new programs entirely can further enhance inclusivity in your recreation program.
- Understand how equipment, policies, and staff conduct can all be calibrated to further promote inclusion in your school’s recreation programming.