First-Year Student Transition & Integration, and the Role of Campus Recreation
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 9:15am-10:15am
- Room 407
- Lynn Nester, EdD, California State University-San Bernardino
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive
Student retention is a challenge for many higher education institutions. A first-year student’s successful transition to college positively impacts retention, and campus recreation plays an integral role. This session will outline transition, student departure, and student involvement theories and discuss research on outdoor orientation programs. Attendees will gain insight about methods for enhancing the first-year experience and discuss successful first-year programming.
- Identify and explain at least two theories pertinent to understanding student transition to college.
- Articulate at least three essential components of a successful transition to college by first-year students.
- Identity at least three types of programming that campus recreation departments can offer, or partner with other departments to offer, that will enhance the first-year experience.