Let the Students Lead: Benefits, Myths, and Challenges of Large-Scale, Student-Run Events
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 9:15am-10:15am
- Room 403
- Jason Incorvati, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Nicholas D’Amato, University of Connecticut; Matthew Lee, San Jose State University; Jannelvy Martinez, University of Nevada-Las Vegas
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager)
As NIRSA members, we are well aware of the value of student learning and development, but what does that mean in practice? Are we practicing the values we hold in such esteem? This session will challenge participants to let go of the reigns and let the students take over while programming events. This presentation will discuss the mindset necessary to accomplish this and the student development and leadership theories that can guide your practice.
- Describe three benefits and three challenges of large-scale, student-led events.
- List two myths of student-led events.
- Identify three theories that can guide professional practice with large-scale, student-led events.