How Organizational Culture Influences Perceived Legitimacy of College Outdoor Recreation Programs
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 2:15pm-3:15pm
- Room 702
- Kellie Gerbers, PhD, Westminster College
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive
Outdoor recreation administrators often voice frustration that their programs are viewed as luxury experiences rather than valuable developmental opportunities for students. This presentation will explore how successful college outdoor recreation programs leverage the outcomes of effective organizational culture-building to maintain value in the eyes of stakeholders. Research findings suggest administrators can engage in specific tactics to increase their program’s perceived legitimacy.
- Explain how contextual, cultural, sociocultural, and individual inputs influence the creation and stability of an organization’s culture.
- Evaluate the extent to which an outdoor program aligns with its institution’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Identify 2-3 specific tactics that outdoor programs can employ to maintain and increase their organization’s legitimacy on campus.