Focusing on Student Health and Wellbeing Through Intentional Facility Design: The Story of Barnwell Hall at the University of Alabama
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Tuesday, March 6, 10:30am-11:30am
- Room 401
- Anita Moran, TreanorHL; André Love, The University of Alabama
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Executive
Barnwell Hall was originally built in 1930 as the University of Alabama’s women’s gymnasium. It is adjacent to one of the largest sorority communities in the country, and in 2017, the university elected to renovate and restore the building’s historical character while creating a center emphasizing women’s programs. This presentation will focus on the goals, program, process, and design for this innovative initiative.
- Understand the history of Barnwell Hall, its context, and the decision to emphasize women’s wellness.
- Review design process and elements to consider when renovating a historic building.
- Identify the key contributors in delivering a comprehensive experience focused on maximizing student health and wellbeing.