Eliminating the “F Word” in Intramural Sports: No One Likes Forfeits
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 9:15am-10:15am
- Mile High Ballroom 4DEF
- Shane Conti, University of Massachusetts- Boston
- Mid-Level (Manager)
Reducing the rate of forfeits will always be a challenge for intramural sports programs. This presentation will introduce how UMass Boston’s unique challenges and think-outside-the-box mentality has lead to an Intramural policy overhaul. Our programming philosophy of “Games Played” pioneered our Nomad Rule, which is directly responsible for a Spring 2017 forfeit rate under 4%.
- Discover how the intramural philosophy of “Games Played” has completely reshaped and redefined how the intramural sports program at UMass Boston operates.
- Learn how the Nomad Rule has been extremely successful in crushing the intramural forfeit rate at UMass Boston, along with ideas on how to implement it on other campuses.
- Discuss other unique challenges and approaches to reducing forfeit rates.