Providing Campus Recreation Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 8:00am-9:00am
- Room 705
- Paul Polis, California State University- Sacramento; Andrew Reddish, California State University- Sacramento
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Student
Individuals with disabilities tend to have lower than average participation rates in recreation. Fortunately, there are things that can be done to change this. Join the staff from California State University-Sacramento as we identify common reasons behind lower participation rates and changes that can be made. From changes in marketing and language use to creating campus partnerships or working directly with members who have disabilities, there are takeaways for everyone.
- Become familiar with the basic principles of person-first language and how to implement it throughout departments/programs.
- Identify and remove potential barriers for individuals with disabilities.
- Discuss possible accommodations or specialty programs that can be provided for members with disabilities.