Survival of the FIT Test: Overcoming Bias to Build Your Best Student Team
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, March 5, 8:00am-9:00am
- Mile High Ballroom 4DEF
- Jason Gant, RCRSP, Farmingdale State College; Jeffrey Feldhaus, Virginia Tech; Daniel Renfro, University of South Florida
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager), Student
Student employees are the backbone of collegiate recreation and building a quality staff is essential. A fair and consistent hiring process is the foundation of a great team. When recruiting new employees or promoting current ones, we often target those who “fit the mold” of our departmental culture. But who exactly “fits the mold”, and how does implicit bias affect our answer? In this session, learn effective strategies to recognize bias and rise above it to build your best student team.
- Define common forms of implicit bias.
- Explain how bias impacts student employment decisions.
- Identify methods to overcome bias and develop an effective hiring process.