Being a Leader and a Friend: Understanding Boundaries Between Professionals and Students
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Wednesday, March 7, 11:00am-noon
- Room 503
- Tommy Willis, Jr., Eastern Kentucky University; Justin Raymer, Eastern Kentucky University
- New Professional, Mid-Level (Manager)
This presentation will examine the boundaries between campus recreation professionals and students in regards to emotional distress, including the legal obligations of the professionals involved. Many new professionals are underprepared when dealing with the emotional needs of their student staff and knowing what steps to take in order to alleviate the issue(s). The majority of data collected suggests that new professionals fail to adequately help or understand their legal role when dealing with students, an issue this presentation seeks to address.
- Realize that each student carries emotional baggage that affects their behavior.
- Develop an understanding of the legal role of a campus recreation professional in dealing with emotional distress in student workers.
- Delineate professional and personal boundaries with student staff.