Conference registration will open in early December 2019 following the NIRSA Board of Directors mid-year meetings when the NIRSA 2020 budget is reviewed and adopted.
The NIRSA 2020 Conference & Expo will be held at the Phoenix Convention Center: 100 N 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ 85004.
Many things have changed for the 2020 Annual Conference and we’re excited about the changes!
- The Opening General Session will have a late afternoon start (5:00pm–7:00pm) on Saturday, April 18. In addition to the normal welcome, announcements, recognitions, and an Opening General Session keynote speaker, we’ll also be presenting the Honor Award during the Opening Session, the highest-attended event during the conference.
- A brief reception will be held following the Opening General Session to greet and congratulate the Honor Award recipient.
- The Expo Grand Opening will start in the early afternoon on Sunday and the Expo follows with a full day on Monday.
- The All Conference Social will be on Monday evening, April 20 at a yet-to-be-determined location.
- The NIRSA Foundation will once again offer the NIRSA Foundation Golf Tournament on Saturday as a preconference activity.
- With the movement of the Honor Award recognition to the opening night, the last day of the conference will see the most change. The Closing General session will be moved to later in the afternoon, allowing for two more rounds of educational sessions on the last day. The Closing General Session will be followed by a reception to conclude the conference and share one last hug or take one last picture. The official programming for the final evening should be wrapping up around 6:30pm local time, allowing individual groups to make dinner plans as a staff or with new friends.
- With the change to the last day’s schedule, NIRSA will be able to provide more meals for a greater majority of attendees—especially our student attendees—by reallocating catering dollars into grab n’ go breakfasts for attendees on a couple mornings during the conference.
If you’re flying, Sky Harbor International Airport is just four miles from the Phoenix Convention Center and conference hotels.
Transportation options include:
- SuperShuttle offers a shared ride service
- Uber/Lyft/Taxi from the airport to your hotel
The Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport is also an option for some regional airlines but is ~30 miles from downtown Phoenix.
Reservations cannot be made until you register for NIRSA 2020. Once registered, you’ll be emailed a receipt/confirmation that will include a link to book your room at one of the conference hotels for the discounted rate of $249–$259/night for 1–4 occupants at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown and $239/night for 1–4 occupants at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix.
NIRSA will have two conference hotels in 2020 with 60% of the total rooms at the Headquarter Hotel (Sheraton Phoenix Downtown) and 40% of the rooms at the Hyatt Regency. Both hotels are just a short walk to the convention center.
Amenities at both of the conference hotels include:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in all sleeping rooms
- Complimentary access to the fitness center and pool
Once you’ve registered for NIRSA 2020, login to the 2020 NIRSA Annual Conference & Campus Recreation and Wellness Expo event community on the NIRSA website. In the discussion forum, view existing inquiries for room sharing and respond with a direct message. Or you can specify your rooming preferences in an inquiry posting.
Conference attendees are automatically enrolled in this convenient event community once they have registered for NIRSA 2020.
To inquire about available space and options within the Phoenix Convention Center or the conference hotels, reach out to NIRSA Director of Meetings & Events Sierra Smith. Sierra will connect you with the right person so you can put on a great event! If you’re interested in one of the many venues in the downtown or surrounding areas, contact Elizabeth Thielen with Visit Phoenix.
Please forward additional questions to NIRSA Director of Meetings & Events Sierra Smith. NIRSA will update the FAQ page with your question so your colleagues can benefit.
Phoenix, the fifth most populated city in America, boasts mild springtime weather with blooming cacti and wildflowers in April. Daytime temperatures should hover around 80 degrees while evenings are comfortably cool. The Phoenix Convention Center, host to all 2020 NIRSA Annual Conference events, is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix and is only four miles from the Sky Harbor International Airport. Walk a few blocks in any direction from the convention center and surrounding hotels and you’ll find dining, entertainment, shops, and cultural attractions.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is included in the negotiated hotel guest rate and will be available in the sleeping rooms of the NIRSA-contracted hotels. Complimentary WiFi in the Convention Center is limited to the entrance lobbies and metro Marche’ food court area.