Consistent with our commitment to our strategic values, NIRSA is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment that promotes a culture of respect for all meeting and event participants and NIRSA staff. When diverging opinions occur, NIRSA encourages all attendees, staff, volunteers, etc. to be mindful of your behavior by being respectful and practicing civil discourse. All participants, including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, NIRSA staff, service providers, and others are expected to abide by this Event Safety & Responsibility Policy. This Policy applies to all NIRSA meetings and events, including those sponsored by organizations other than NIRSA but held in conjunction with NIRSA events, in public or private facilities.
Personal Safety and Security
NIRSA works diligently to provide a safe and secure environment at its meetings and events by working with venue staff to make sure meeting participants are safe. We ask that all attendees report any questionable or concerning activity to NIRSA staff so that they can take appropriate action. No concern is too small, if you see something, say something.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Use the buddy system when walking to and from the event venue, networking event locations during early or late hours.
- Don’t wear your meeting badge on the street. Remove it as soon as you leave the building/venue.
- Don’t carry a lot of cash or credit cards. Leave valuables in your hotel room safe.
- Don’t leave personal property unattended anywhere, anytime.
If it is a non life-threatening emergency or if you need immediate assistance, you should ask any NIRSA staff member or the on-site security personnel to help you. For life threatening emergencies, call 911 or the local emergency number.
- Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, NIRSA staff member, service provider, or other meeting guest.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, or threatening or stalking any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, NIRSA staff member, service provider, or other meeting guest.
- Disruption of presentations at sessions, in the exhibit hall, or at other events organized by NIRSA at the meeting venue, hotels, or other NIRSA-contracted facilities.
Responsible Consumption of Alcohol and other Intoxicants
- At some NIRSA networking events both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are served. NIRSA expects all participants who are of legal age and choose to consume alcohol at our events to do so responsibly. NIRSA and host event staff have the right to deny service to participants for any reason, and may require a participant to leave the event.
- Follow all local & state laws related to alcohol and other intoxicants.
NIRSA has zero-tolerance for any form of discrimination or harassment, including but not limited to sexual harassment by participants or our staff at our meetings. If you experience harassment or hear of any incidents of unacceptable behavior, NIRSA asks that you inform either Pamela Watts, CAE, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 541-995-0332 or Mary Callender, Sr. Director of Operations, email@example.com, 541-833-0239 so that we can take the appropriate action.
Filing an Incident Report:
If you have been a part of or witness to an incident at 2019 NIRSA, we ask that you complete a report to document the incident. These forms will be available at Conference Registration Desk or you may download here.
NIRSA reserves the right to take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the event without warning or refund, in response to any incident of unacceptable behavior, and NIRSA reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future meeting or event.