Family/Youth; Risk Management/Legal Issues
Maximizing Youth Program Potential 1779
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Monday, April 4 • 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Tallahassee 1/2/3
- Phyllis Allen, University of Arizona; Samantha Wallace, University of Arizona; Sean Graninger, Central Michigan University; Tara Yesenski, Arizona State University
Whether you’re looking to start youth camps or to enhance practices you already have in place, this session will give you ideas and tools to implement diverse activities, including during times of the year when youth programming is not traditionally run in the Campus Recreation setting. As the quantity of programs increases, the attention to risk management needs to remain at the highest quality. This session will also cover how to train your staff and remain vigilant in regards to safety measures, staff conduct, and camp operations.
Core Competencies: Programming; Philosophy & Theory; Legal Liability & Risk Management
- Learn about strategies and methods to maximize facilities, resources, and programming as used by other youth programs across the country.
- Determine possibilities for collaborations with departments and programs on your campus to increase youth program participation, visibility, and advocates at your institution.
- Identify additional risk management strategies to implement in your hiring, registration, and daily camp procedures.
Behavior Management Tricks and Clips: Strategies to Prevent and Intervene with Undesired Behavior in Youth and How to Use Film Clips to Train Your Staff 1850
- 0.1 NIRSA CEUs
- Tuesday, April 5 • 11:00am – 12:30pm
- Sanibel 1/2/3
- Jeff Heiser, University of California-Davis
When working in youth camps, managing camper behavior issues may be one of the most difficult, frustrating, and challenging tasks that your staff will face. We’ve yet to discover a singular approach to behavior management that works best for everyone. This behavior management workshop is based on the idea that all behavior can be boiled down to two types: behavior you want to enforce (desirable behavior) and behavior you want to extinguish (undesirable behavior). Attendees will walk away with a behavior management training framework that balances prevention strategies with interventions strategies that your staff can implement right away. Finally, while illustrating an effective staff training method, we will explore these strategies using movie clips from popular films.
Core Competencies: Human Resource Management; Programming
- Understand desirable behavior and undesirable behavior.
- Learn effective techniques to prevent undesirable behavior as well as to intervene with undesirable behavior.
- Develop specific training techniques that can be implemented right away with your staff.