Facility Management, Planning, and Design
011 Collegiate Recreational Facilities Roundtable
Tuesday, March 31 • 8:30am – 9:30am
Stephanne Musser, The Ohio State University
Join us in sharing resources, ideas, and information regarding recreational facilities and facility operations on campus.
Facility Management, Planning, and Design; Sustainable Communities
033 Sustainability the Smart Way: Looking at Facility Sustainability Measures
0.1 NIRSA CEUs
Tuesday, March 31 • 9:40am – 10:40am
David DeAngelo, CRSS, The Ohio State University; Kurt Schooley, The Ohio State University; and Abigail Whaley, The Ohio State University
Discover some of the ways that presenters implemented sustainability measures into their portfolio of facilities. Learn about the valuable university relationships they forged during the process and ways that they incorporated payback periods into their decision making process.
Core Competencies: Facility Management, Planning & Design
- Learn at least three ways of improving sustainability in facility operations, and learn about the concept of payback.
- Learn how to work with your environmental services team to increase sustainability measures in cleaning and housekeeping.
- Learn what a facility audit is and the process the presenters went through in developing and implementing theirs.
Facility Management, Planning, and Design; Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
059 Truly Inclusive of the Entire Student Population
0.1 NIRSA CEUs
Tuesday, March 31 • 3:10pm – 4:10pm
Justin Caron, Aquatic Design Group; and Scott Palmer, Aquatic Design Group
This session will address the growing prevalence of special interest groups, and of individuals with physical and mental disabilities, in America. It will discuss how to design your next facility to attract and comfortably accommodate these people, as well as bring up programming considerations that should be kept in mind.
Core Competencies: Facility Management, Planning & Design; Programming; Human Resource Management
- Recognize the importance of providing visitors with aquatic facilities that can support programming geared towards the disabled.
- Recognize the importance of providing visitors with aquatic facilities that can support programming geared towards special interest groups.
- Learn how specific design elements can affect the types of programming your facility can offer.
Strategic Planning; Facility Management, Planning, and Design
090 Advancing Your Mission Through Strategic Physical and Financial Planning
0.1 NIRSA CEUs
Wednesday, April 1 • 10:00am – 11:00am
Eric Hawkes, North Carolina State University at Raleigh; and Joe Winters, Brailsford & Dunlavey
Dwindling capital resources and increased competition for available funding have made advancing recreation missions–and providing co-curricular learning opportunities that support student success–challenging for collegiate recreation professionals. Learn how North Carolina State has managed to progress its recreation mission over the past five years through an emphasis on strategic physical and financial planning.
Core Competencies: Facility Management, Planning & Design; Research & Evaluation; Business Management; Programming
- Understand the national context for the current political and financial climate, which impacts higher education institutions’ advancement of their recreation missions.
- Understand the tools available to help an institution’s recreation department manage in this challenging climate, and how to use them.
- Master a series of lessons that will help enhance future planning efforts.
Facility Management, Planning, and Design; Fitness
097 Creating CrossFit Opportunities at Your Fitness Center
0.1 NIRSA CEUs
Wednesday, April 1 • 11:10am – 12:10pm
Jennifer Lewis, Rochester Institute of Technology
CrossFit is gaining popularity and becoming more and more of a national trend. Learn how to implement CrossFit programming opportunities at your fitness center safely and effectively through careful planning and decision-making processes.
Core Competencies: Facility Management, Planning & Design; Human Resource Management; Programming
- Coordinate a facilities’ management plan that will provide CrossFit program opportunities to your fitness members.
- Create several rules, policies, and procedures for CrossFit utilization.
- Establish safe and effective training programs for student staff.
Facility Management, Planning, and Design; Health/Wellbeing
139 Design to Opening: Three Case Studies from Very Different Perspectives
0.1 NIRSA CEUs
Thursday, April 2 • 8:40am – 9:40am
Tony Daniels, CRSS, Prairie View A & M University; Joey Greenwood, RCRSP, Midwestern State University; Janet Jordan, Moody-Nolan, Inc.; and Hector Munoz, CRSS, The University of Texas at El Paso
This interactive presentation will explore how the build environment helps each institution achieve their mission to provide organized and self-directed recreation, intramural, wellness, and fitness programs to their campus communities. The three case studies presented in this session examine: a new collegiate recreation facility that includes the campus health center; the next phase of a planned expansion that took a different twist for better visibility and function; and a new comprehensive recreation center attached to an old athletic venue.
Core Competencies: Facility Management, Planning & Design; Business Management; Human Resource Management
- Understand the basic steps involved with planning, designing, and constructing a new, renovated, or expanded recreation facility.
- Understand the human resource issues that impact your new or renovated facility so you can minimize costs and maximize delivery of services.
- Learn tips to nurture partnerships, either by design or default, that may not have common objectives.