Any continuing professional education offered by any entity may be acceptable toward RCRSP applications and renewals if it meets the NIRSA CEU requirements outlined below:
A pre-approved NIRSA CEU Provider is an organization/event that has formally registered with the RCRSP program with the intent to provide education that meets the Professional Registry Commission’s standards for helping individuals earn or maintain the RCRSP credential.
Upon registering with NIRSA, pre-approved providers receive guidance on the standards and how to communicate CEU opportunities to attendees.
Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Information
Any continuing professional education offered by any entity may be acceptable toward RCRSP applications and renewals, if it meets the NIRSA CEU requirements outlined below.
What is a NIRSA Continuing Education Unit (CEU)?
CEUs may be defined in various ways depending on the credential program. NIRSA Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are records of education experiences that are to be earned and used towards RCRSP applications and renewals. NIRSA CEUs are assigned to education activities/programs/events which meet the NIRSA CEU-eligible standards outlined in this section of the handbook. One NIRSA Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is defined as one hour of participation in an organized continuing education experience that meets the criteria below.
1.0 NIRSA CEU = 1.0 hour
Example: A person who attends a 60-minute conference session may earn 1.0 CEU for that education.
NIRSA CEU Criteria
To be a CEU-eligible education activity, a program/event/activity must meet the following criteria. In signing the RCRSP application, RCRSP credential holders agree to a Standards of Conduct that the education activities they list in their application/renewal comply with the established criteria.
- CONTENT: The education must be competency-based. The content must support professionals’growth in at least one of NIRSA Core Competency areas
|Programming||Personal & Professional Qualities||Human Resources Management||Business Management|
|Philosophy & Theory||Legal Liabilities & Risk Management||Facility Management, Planning & Design||Research & Evaluation|
- DURATION:The education must be at least 30 minutes. The education program/event/activity must be designed to be at least 30 minutes in duration (0.5 CEUs). Beyond the 30-minute minimum, CEUs will be awarded in 15- minute increments. Any education that ends in between a 15- minute increment should be rounded down to the nearest 15-minute increment.
- FACILITATION: The education must include content that is designed and facilitated by qualified subject matter experts. The education should be facilitated by a qualified individual(s) based on their education, expertise, and experience.
- INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN: The education must have learning outcomes. The education program must articulate at least one learning outcome. A learning outcome is a clear statement of what a learner is expected to be able to do/know/value at the completion of the education program. This statement may be present in the event/session description. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the learning outcomes of the education program supports the learner’s growth in NIRSA Core Competencies.
- EVALUATION: The education must include an evaluation. After the education program, an evaluation of the program must be offered to learners. That may be in the form of a session evaluation, or post event evaluation. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the learner is offered an opportunity to reflect on their experience and takeaways from the program. Reflection is an important aspect of the learning process.
|Duration of session||Please note the following CEU value in the description:|
|30 minute session||0.5 NIRSA CEUs|
|40 minute session||0.75 NIRSA CEUs|
|60 minute session||1.0 NIRSA CEUs|
|75 minute session||1.25 NIRSA CEUs|
|90 minute session||1.5 NIRSA CEUs|
|105 minute session||1.75 NIRSA CEUs|
|120 minute session||2.0 NIRSA CEUs|
Beyond the 30-minute minimum, CEUs will be awarded in 15- minute increments. In addition to the examples above, if you are offering programs longer than 120 minutes (2 hours), the provider would just follow the pattern above, with a 3-hour program =3.0 NIRSA CEUs, etc. Any education that ends in between a 15- minute increment should be rounded down to the nearest 15-minute increment. Examples of education ending in between a 15-minute increment
40-minute program = 0.5 NIRSA CEUs
55-minute program=0.75 NIRSA CEU