Becoming a NIRSA CEU Provider reflects your organization/event’s commitment to providing education that helps individuals earn or maintain the Registry of Collegiate Recreational Sports Professional (RCRSP) credential.
If my event is a CEU Provider, does all the education programs at our event have to be offer NIRSA CEUs?
No. Agreeing to be a NIRSA CEU Approved Provider communicates to potential attendees that by attending your event, they will have an opportunity to earn NIRSA CEUs. Those opportunities are required to be identified as such in your event’s marketing materials. However, not all education programs offered at your event need to be designed to be CEU eligible. However, Providers are required to identify such programs in their marketing materials.
If my event is a CEU Provider, does that mean we can also offer other association CEUs—i.e.—American Council on Exercise (ACE), American Council of Sports Medicine (ACSM), etc.?
No. As a NIRSA CEU Provider, you are committing to designing content that aligns with the NIRSA providership requirements only. To provide other types of CEUs, event planners would have to submit an application directly to the organization who oversees such CEUs.
Do I need to submit all my event information to NIRSA?
No. By signing the provider agreement, Providers are agreeing to uphold the requirements to host CEU eligible education at your event. However, the NIRSA Provider Program reserves the right to formally audit events. Such an audit would include a request for all education program information. Providers should keep a list of attendees, the program description, date, number of NIRSA CEU credits, and presenters. This information should be kept for three years.
Does NIRSA provide resources to help implement the providership?
Yes. Upon approving your event’s providership, event planners will be emailed a Providership Kit. This kit will include customizable communication templates that can be used to incorporate CEU information into your event communication and marketing materials. It will also include a NIRSA Provider seal that can be incorporated into your marketing materials to help inform attendees that the event will offer NIRSA CEUs. NIRSA staff are available to consult with providers as needed if you have any questions.
Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Information
Any continuing professional education offered by any entity may be acceptable toward RCRSP applications and renewals, if it meets the NIRSA CEU requirements outlined below.
What is a NIRSA Continuing Education Unit (CEU)?
CEUs may be defined in various ways depending on the credential program. NIRSA Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are records of education experiences that are to be earned and used towards RCRSP applications and renewals. NIRSA CEUs are assigned to education activities/programs/events which meet the NIRSA CEU-eligible standards outlined in this section of the handbook. One NIRSA Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is defined as one hour of participation in an organized continuing education experience that meets the criteria below.
1.0 NIRSA CEU = 1.0 hour
Example: A person who attends a 60-minute conference session may earn 1.0 CEU for that education.
NIRSA CEU Criteria
To be a CEU-eligible education activity, a program/event/activity must meet the following criteria. In signing the RCRSP application, RCRSP credential holders agree to a Standards of Conduct that the education activities they list in their application/renewal comply with the established criteria.
- CONTENT: The education must be competency-based. The content must support professionals’growth in at least one of NIRSA Core Competency areas
Programming Personal & Professional Qualities Human Resources Management Business Management Philosophy & Theory Legal Liabilities & Risk Management Facility Management, Planning & Design Research & Evaluation
- DURATION:The education must be at least 30 minutes. The education program/event/activity must be designed to be at least 30 minutes in duration (0.5 CEUs). Beyond the 30-minute minimum, CEUs will be awarded in 15- minute increments. Any education that ends in between a 15- minute increment should be rounded down to the nearest 15-minute increment.
- FACILITATION: The education must include content that is designed and facilitated by qualified subject matter experts. The education should be facilitated by a qualified individual(s) based on their education, expertise, and experience.
- INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN: The education must have learning outcomes. The education program must articulate at least one learning outcome. A learning outcome is a clear statement of what a learner is expected to be able to do/know/value at the completion of the education program. This statement may be present in the event/session description. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the learning outcomes of the education program supports the learner’s growth in NIRSA Core Competencies.
- EVALUATION: The education must include an evaluation. After the education program, an evaluation of the program must be offered to learners. That may be in the form of a session evaluation, or post event evaluation. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the learner is offered an opportunity to reflect on their experience and takeaways from the program. Reflection is an important aspect of the learning process.
Duration of session Please note the following CEU value in the description: 30 minute session 0.5 NIRSA CEUs 40 minute session 0.75 NIRSA CEUs 60 minute session 1.0 NIRSA CEUs 75 minute session 1.25 NIRSA CEUs 90 minute session 1.5 NIRSA CEUs 105 minute session 1.75 NIRSA CEUs 120 minute session 2.0 NIRSA CEUs
Beyond the 30-minute minimum, CEUs will be awarded in 15- minute increments. In addition to the examples above, if you are offering programs longer than 120 minutes (2 hours), the provider would just follow the pattern above, with a 3-hour program =3.0 NIRSA CEUs, etc. Any education that ends in between a 15- minute increment should be rounded down to the nearest 15-minute increment. Examples of education ending in between a 15-minute increment
40-minute program = 0.5 NIRSA CEUs
55-minute program=0.75 NIRSA CEU