Strategic Goal & Objective(s)
Goal I, Objective 1: Increase opportunities for communication and networking among members.
Goal III, Objective 2: Increase the professional competencies of members to be leaders and/or catalysts within higher education.
Goal III, Objective 3: Analyze, adjust and/or expand educational offerings to meet the professional development needs of collegiate recreation professionals at all levels.
The committee is expected to work across the Association to complete these charges. Many committees may have some overlap with other committees and are encouraged to reach out to other groups to connect the work. Additional charges may be presented to the committee, or by the committee, during the year as new initiatives arise.
- Chair will attend appropriate face to face and teleconference meetings to exchange information at various stages in the process and as needed based on issues.
- Assess needs for 2017 Annual Conference Program by reviewing conference evaluations and getting feedback from 2016 co-chairs and committee members.
- Establish working protocol and distribution of work interest areas for operations of the program committee.
- Based on direction from the NIRSA Board, implement any recommended topic or competency areas based on the Association’s education priorities, strategic value areas, or emerging issues.
- Based on the Association’s education priorities, Assembly recommendations and 2017 program, determine needs for pre-conference workshops.
- Define process for recruitment of preconference workshops via the proposal process or solicitation.
- Work with NIRSA HQ to establish registration costs, time and space needs for each of the preconference workshops.
- Work with NIRSA HQ to ensure preconference workshops have completed and submitted program forms within the established deadlines.
- Work with preconference coordinators to assist in securing any invited speakers.
- Liaise with NIRSA HQ staff regarding content of online proposal form for education sessions and poster presentations.
- Ask Communities of Practice (COP) Conveners to encourage through their discussion groups, submissions of proposals. Work with NIRSA HQ and convener of COPs to identify active discussion contributors to assist in reviewing proposals in their COP area.
- Recruit quality presenters across all competency and topic areas through personal contact.
- Recruit, through the Communities of Practice and other appropriate NIRSA stakeholder/leadership groups, teams to review and rank the presentation proposals.
- Review all recruited and submitted proposals and their rankings from the review teams and select those to be included in the conference program. Forward the accepted and declined lists in accordance with established deadlines.
- Recruit additional presenters for areas that may be in need of more content after educational session proposal deadline.
- Work with NIRSA HQ staff regarding the overall conference schedule; slot sessions into the daily presentation “grid” of rooms/times.
- Determine which sessions have a need for a session monitor; schedule and confirm monitor schedule.
- Review responsibilities of session monitors and update annually.
- 2017 Chair to travel to and participate in June site planning meetings with NIRSA HQ staff.
- Liaise with NIRSA HQ to develop web content to educate the membership about changes and information for the 2017 event.
PAID AND INVITED SPEAKERS
- Review possible presenter materials and seek out information regarding potential keynote and invited speakers.
- Make recommendations to NIRSA HQ staff within budget parameters for keynote and other invited speakers.
- Remain in communication with NIRSA HQ staff relative to securing invited speakers and budget status in accordance with established deadlines and logistical paperwork.
- Engage with paid speakers for the purpose of educating them on campus recreation departments and professional/student staff so they can tailor their presentations to our audience.
- Liaise with NIRSA HQ staff regarding content of poster presentation proposal form.
- Liaise with COP Conveners and colleagues to recruit proposal submissions.
- Review submitted proposals and select those to be included in the program; forward accepted and declined lists to NIRSA HQ staff. This may be done with a review team selected by the Program Committee Chair or Committee.
- Assign a committee member to work with the poster presenters at the Annual Conference during set-up and take-down.
PROGRAM TABLE AND EVALUATIONS
- Submit recommendations regarding education session evaluation question to be include in the Annual Conference app.
- Coordinate staffing schedule for the table during the conference.
Work with NIRSA HQ to determine optimal time frame for staffing table.