NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NIRSA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- House earmarks return with new guidelines, article reports
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) withdraws pending rule blocking graduate student unions
- Title IX sex to mean sex at birth bill, the Safety and Opportunity for Girls Act (HR 1417), introduced
State and Local Government News
- Iowa college tenure prohibiting bill passes committee
- Iowa remove gender identity as a protected class bill introduced
- Iowa school use of toilet facilities corresponding with biological sex bill introduced
- Kansas “Campus Free Speech Act” bill introduced
- Kansas college and school sports, including intramural, participation by sex at birth bill, “Fairness in Women’s Sports Act,” introduced
- Kentucky college and school sports participation by sex at birth bill, “Save Women’s Sports Act,” introduced
- Maryland “Hunger-Free Campus Grant Program” bill introduced in both state chambers
- Maryland college admissions limitations of evaluating student criminal history passes state senate and now before state house
- Minnesota school sports participation sex at birth bills introduced in both chambers
- Minnesota school sports participation sex at birth bill introduced
- Mississippi hazing bill passed state house but died in state senate committee
- Mississippi colleges anti-hazing policy bill passed state house but died in state senate committee
- Mississippi “Sexual Assault Response for College Students Act” bill passed state house but died in state senate committee
- Missouri college student health insurance requiring prohibition bill has hearing
- Missouri college students live on campus requirement bill has hearing
- Missouri school sports participation by sex at birth bills introduced
- Missouri school sports participation by sex at birth constitution amendment bills has hearing
- Missouri college and school sports participation by sex at birth “Save Women’s Sports Act” bill introduced
- Montana eliminating religious exemption regarding reporting sexual abuse bill appears to have been withdrawn from consideration
- College COVID-19 updates
- College issues are reported by college presidents through ACE survey
- Activities and other COVID-19 updates
- Concussion resources for patients and caregivers released online by Concussion Legacy Foundation
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.