NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NIRSA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
Federal Stimulus/FY21 Funding
- Senate Democrats approve budget resolution for COVID-19 relief
- Biden Administration announces more appointments to the US Department of Education (DoE)
- Louisiana State University being investigated by US Department of Education (DoE) over alleged mishandling of sexual assault cases
- Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) addresses transgender athletes issue during confirmation hearing
- Affirmative action suit against Yale is dropped
- College affordability legislative priorities explored in article
- Accommodations training/private courses of action ACCESS Act (HR 77) introduced
- Child abuse reporting/notification federal grantee requiring bill (HR 608) introduced
Other Federal News
- Minimum wage debate divides Democrats, article reports
- Biden Administration to revive women’s issues task force
- Minnesota youth sports COVID-19 reopening case to be heard by federal court
State and Local Government News
- Thirty-one transgender/sex by birth sports participation bills filed in 20 states
- Georgia campus free speech zone prohibition bill introduced
- Maryland college athlete omnibus
- Mississippi college athletic compensation bill passes committee
- Montana gender by birth interscholastic athlete sports participation bill passes the state house and moves to state senate
- College COVID-19 updates
- Activities and other COVID-19 updates
- College mask wearing habits explored by CDC
- College students with intellectual disabilities program accreditation standards required by 2009 law to be introduced
- Concussion guidelines recently enacted shorten duration of symptoms, study finds
- Youth suicide risk may be identified by computerized screening, article reports
- Suicides among adolescents aged 15-24 from 1999-2019 focus of CDC report
- Transgender athletes sports policy and the NCAA outlined in editorial article
- Transgender/sex by birth sports participation recommendations by ex-Olympians argued to be discriminatory by transgender advocates
- College ordered to pay fine for study abroad rape of students
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.