NIRSA’s Government Affairs Committee stays up-to-date on the latest federal and state policy and legislative news through a variety of scanning tools. One particular resource they use is the bi-weekly Policy Pages provided by Active Policy Solutions. (For more on this partnership, along with other SAHEC associations, have with Active Policy Solutions, see below.)
The policy issues included in the Policy Pages document are highlights of a point in time. They are by no means exhaustive and change continually – so matters discussed in the last issue normally will not carry over to the next unless there is some updated action to be discussed.
The Committee encourages NIRSA members to keep themselves informed on federal and state policy issues affecting their work as professionals on campuses. These issues could be specific to higher education, physical activity, or NIRSA’s strategic value areas. If you have an issue that is of concern to your campus, reach out the Government Affairs Committee.
Policy Page documents will be stored, as a resource for NRISA members, in the NIRSA Connect Community library. You can find them within the “Member Benefits” folder in a subfolder titled “Federal and State Policy Pages.”
In this issue:
- House Education and Labor Committee Chairman Bobby Scott may be nearing release of HEA proposal, POLITICO reports
- Harvard law journal seeks comments on U.S. Department of Education’s Title IX proposed rule
- Pell Plus Act of 2019 (HR 4608) introduced
- Stop College Closures Act of 2019 (HR 4615) introduced
- Leveraging Opportunities for Americans Now Act (HR 4603) introduced
- Truth in Tuition Act (HR 4587) introduced
- Financial Aid Fairness for Students Act (FAFSA) (HR 4584) introduced
- Campus Prevention and Recovery Services for Students Act of 2019 (HR 3591) adds 2 new cosponsors
- Enhancing Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Through Campus Planning Act (HR 4327) adds 2 new cosponsors
- Expanding Disability Access to Higher Education Act (HR 4577) adds 4 cosponsors
State & Local Government
- California’s ‘Equal Pay to Play Act’ is the other California law that no one is talking about
- California legislator wants to mandate students apply for federal loans and grants
- California governor signs into law several college affordability and admission scandal related bills
- Connecticut should follow California’s lead and allow college athletes to sign endorsement deals, several prominent people in the state say
- Florida lawmaker plans to reintroduce legislation to allow campus carry
- Nevada lawmakers explore whether student athletes should be paid
- Pennsylvania bill to be introduced to follow California’s lead to have college athletes paid for endorsements in what is becoming known as the ‘Fair Pay to Play’ movement
- Funding opportunity: America Walks opens 2019 Community Change Grant applications
Education and Schools News
- Hazing sited for Ohio University’s decision to suspend all fraternities
- Hazing investigation sees 18 indicted in Miami University of Ohio fraternity
- College emergency planning for students with disabilities advice published by Campus Safety Magazine
- College student food and housing struggles at Denver area colleges explored in new study
Health & Wellness News
- U.S. vaping-related deaths rise to 21, report shows
- Texas A&M University System to ban vaping across all its campuses
- Leave policy for mental illness to be offered at Stanford University as part of lawsuit settlement
Civil Rights News
- Harvard’s race-conscious admissions process upheld by federal judge
- Title IX lawsuits find increased legal challenges place mounting pressure on universities
About NIRSA’s partnership with Active Policy Solutions
As an association, NIRSA strives to monitor and track policy and legislative issues with the potential to impact our members or the campus communities they serve. These issues are wide ranging and may pertain to higher education, employment law, physical fitness, or our strategic values areas.
NIRSA has joined with a subset of SAHEC members (ACUHO-I, ACPA, ASCA, NASPA, and NIRSA) in hiring Active Policy Solutions to assist with monitoring, tracking, analyzing, and determining appropriate action on issues relevant to our associations. Through our partnership with SAHEC, NIRSA continues to monitor policy, legislation, and advocacy work that affects both the higher education and physical activity space. Active Policy Solutions provides government relations and advocacy support to NIRSA and the Association’s SAHEC partners.
- For more information, please contact NIRSA Director of Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Erin O’Sullivan.
- Want to share with your colleagues how this proposed legislation might impact your campus? Pitch us your ideas.